Thursday, June 29, 2006

Draft Diary

The NBA Draft, one of my favorite nights of the year. This was a big night in the NBA, one of the most wide open drafts in years, and one of the most important nights for the Grizzlies in the history of the franchise.

The day started off looking like we'd see the Grizzlies staying at #24 and selecting a combo guard, but around 3 o'clock I was told Battier had tipped off that he was being traded in a 4 team blockbuster deal. I couldn't believe this, the face of our franchise was going to be traded. I immediately began assuming the possiblities. Piere? He has been rumored to be on the block. Iverson? He loves Memphis and the Memfricans would love him if he came here. KG? Too good to be true there.

I convinced myself, dreamingly, that we were getting Pierce or AI. I was really pushing for PP.

6:30 came around and settled down in a fine dining establishment with some friends to watch the draft.

The first pick of the draft was Andrea Bargnani, no surprise here. I don't think he was worth a number one pick, he's a Pau/Dirk combo, but not nearly as good as either player. Also, Bill Simmons brought up an interesting point. Is the NBA ok with having a guy named Andrea in the league?

The bulls then selected LaMarcus Aldridge, who was abrupty traded to Portland for Tyrus Thomas (#4) and some scrubs.

Adam Morrison, my boy from GU, went #3 to MJ and the Bobcats. What is going to become of Gerald Wallace now? Regardless, Charlotte is going to be good in a year or two. Raymond Felton, Sean May, Wallace, and Morrison, along with Knight and Brezec is a solid group of players. Interesting note, the Bobcats had 90million dollars less than the NYK in salary and won more games.

Shelden Williams went number 5 giving the Atlanta Hawks more forwards on their roster than any two NBA teams combined, great job Atlanta. Their biggest weakness is a PG and they skipped one with Foye and Roy still on the board.

Sixth pick was Brandon Roy, who was traded three or four times before finally finding a home in Portland for Randy Foye, it was really confusing so I won't explain it.

With the eigth pick the Houston Rockets select, Rudy Gay. Good pick for the Rock...what? (my reaction). At that moment it was announced that Rudy Gay had been traded for Shane Battier. I was livid, mainly because I didn't want to part with Shane, but I eventually saw the trade as a good one and accepted it. To make it better it was announced later, my favorite Grizzlie of all time, Stromile Swift was included in this trade. So, the trade was Battier for Stro and Gay, one of the biggest steals in draft history.

This really makes the Grizz an exciting team now. We have gone back to a young and athletic team lead by Warrick, Stro, Gay, Pau, and D-tay.

Fast forward to the 24th pick. The Grizzlies are on the clock again. Spanish Chocolate, Jordan Farmar, Dee Brown, and Kyle Lowry are still on the board. We wanted Marcus Williams, but were ok with who was left. We take Kyle Lowry, a speedy, hardnosed PG out of Villanova. Lowry will be a good backup to Damon next year, and will provide the type of attitude Fratello and West love in players.

Judging the draft I'd say the Grizz and Jazz were the clear cut winners of the night. The Grizzlies got Stro back, Gay, Lowry, and Johnson (a second roudn steal). I'm just ecstatic over that group of players. I will sorely miss Battier, but we got better by letting him go.

Well, I don't really have anythng much left to say other than congrats to Mr. West for growing a pair and that Mike Fratello better play Gay and Lowry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home